Happy Thursday! One of my New Years resolutions (loose term) this year was to let my readers get to know a little bit more about me. So here are five fun facts to get started!
1. My husband and I live in a 570sq ft studio apartment. And we have since we got married in June 2015. We love it! Before we got married, everyone thought we were crazy and would say things like "You know the first year of marriage is hard anyway right? You're going to need space!" Yet here we are. I love the big floor to ceiling windows of the Detroit skyline and he loves how low maintenance a small space is. I love living next to a park with lots of trees, and he loves being in close proximity to the Detroit Red Wings. It all works out. (Images: Our Apartment at Christmastime via Instagram)
2. I live in Detroit. Yes, that Detroit. It is both a lot better and a lot worse than everyone thinks. Better because the depth of culture, arts, architecture, and cuisine is astounding. The people here are wonderfully warm, creative and diverse. There are so many incredible (and safe) places to live and visit, we never run out of new things to do and see. Yet, just as in any city, there are dark spots. Very dark spots. I like to say that there are places you don't go alone at night, places you don't go at night, and places you don't go. The poverty and violence in Detroit is very real, and the oppression of the people who live in the more underprivileged areas is devastating. Yet, hope for the future is never lost, and efforts to revitalize these communities is (slowly) making a difference. Detroiters are the most hard working, resilient, and hopeful people I have ever met. (Images from Left: Townhouse Detroit, Batch Brewing Co, Belle Isle, Mies van der Rohe Architecture)
3. Cooking is my favorite hobby and the circus is my happy place. While I am proficient in neither, few things bring more joy than trying a new recipe or silks trick. I have always been completely enamored with acrobats and aerialists, and one day I decided to give it a try myself. I take classes at my local circus school every week and love it. My love of cooking came along much later in life, and focuses primarily on understanding where food comes from and how it's made. Most recently, my husband and I made our own butter. It was delicious, and strangely satisfying to do.
4. If I wasn't an Interior Designer I would be a Kindergarten teacher. I absolutely love children and am so excited to be a Mom one day. In college, I was a camp counselor for first through third graders, which is actually where my husband and I met. Considering that I chose the career path I did, I have happily settled for teaching Sunday school on weekends. I work with 4 year old's and love it, even though it's complete chaos 97% of the time.
5. My favorite movie is Breakfast at Tiffany's. I feel so obnoxious telling people this because it's such a cliche, but this movie is a part of me. I have received something Audrey Hepburn related as a default birthday gift from family/friends for at least six years now. Audrey Hepburn is obviously a legendary symbol of elegance, but few people remember her for her comedy. Unless you have seen the movie, you would never know that she plays a call girl who can't seem to get her life together. I'm serious, she uses a bathtub for a sofa (see below).
That's all for today, hopefully you feel like we have gotten to know one another a bit better. Have a happy Thursday!